In March 2012 GFC launched its first initiative in Vietnam. During this 3 week trip we partnered with the Breast Cancer Club (BCC) of Hanoi (the only cancer support group in Vietnam) and 3 of the 4 cancer hospitals in the country to::
• help expand on the initiatives and activities of the BCC in Hanoi
• partner with the BCC to establish 2 new cancer support groups at the CanTho and Ho Chi Minh City Oncology Hospitals
• work with all 3 support groups to create a basic cancer awareness materials and programs designed to educate the general population about cancer, decrease stigma, encourage early treatment, and increase survivorship
• network the Vietnamese support groups and hospitals with international affiliates (including members of GFC’s global advisory board) for support, aid and training
• combine with the Kids with Cancer Foundation of Vietnam to promote awareness of childhood cancers, treatment options and provide support for the children and their families
We also connected Vietnamese doctors with members of GFC’s advisory board. Dr. Chaturvedi and Harmala Gupta in India, and Orajitt Bumrungskulswat in Thailand will be assisting the Vietnamese doctors with oncology training, home base palliative care programs and support groups. Additionally, we are working on twinning US support groups and advisors for the all three groups, and continuing our efforts to create cancer awareness materials and programs. We have permission from the Patagonia company to hold cancer awareness seminars in their 13 Vietnamese factories. We are hoping to launch this program on a return visit at the end of 2012.
We have really solidified our contact base in Vietnam on this trip and are looking forward to continuing and expanding on our work with our partners there. Please feel free to contact us directly for additional information/details.
GFC’s work is made possible by generous contributions from individuals like you, as well as sponsorships and grants from corporations and foundations. Every gift is important, and there are many easy ways to donate.
At GFC we thoroughly enjoy talking about what we do and the benefits for all involved. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to us and a representative of GFC will get back to you as soon as possible.